During recent weeks of attempting to clear out the tangled mess of accumulated clutter in my home, it soon became clear that it was only a fraction of what is superfluous in my life.
I also carry a lot of internal baggage, heavy weights I have assimilated over the years, almost without thinking. They’ve made their presence known in various ways but tend to get pushed into a corner, left to gather dust.
Just as our homes differ from one another, so do our hearts and minds and those things we allow house room to. My excess stuff may not match yours, and that’s okay. Sometimes we are unaware we are carrying extraneous luggage in our souls.
Allow me to name (in no particular order) some of my unwanted stuff that needs shifting. The list is by no means conclusive. There is always more to be found if we ask God to search our hearts. You might even spot a familiar item here….
My personal 7 deadliest sins list…. gulp!
- Perfectionism – definitely a work in progress
- Insecurity – writers are prone to attacks of this
- Impatience – not proud of this one… moving on…
- Selfishness – aided and abetted by needing (expecting?) help from others
- Envy – that horrible pang inside when you feel left out of this or that
- Pride – insidious, often masks as self-preoccupation/introspection
- Anger – usually self-directed, but not always
Once our excess, soul-burdening baggage has been identified, we require time for contrite confession and honesty before God, plus asking Holy Spirit for help and grace to act and react differently, while we learn to release this clutter compassionately into His hands.
this excess internal stuff
still weighing me down